In the past few years, I got at least 4 harddrives malfunctioned, and the current 2 in-used harddrives going broken. Thus I has been thinking about applying NAS at home.
However, after today I did some searching and found that a NAS solution will cost me 1K+1K*2=about 3K. This is almost a game desktop’s price that I can not accept.
I have to reconsider what I really need.
- My private data like photos, videos, documents can sync to the baidu yun. In this case, it is secured.
- Using 1 red hard drive will work.
- A raid1 is better.
The probelm is my action movies.
- They can not store on yun pan.
- They are big.
- Downloading them hurts hard drive.
use a temp individual hard drive to download, instead of directly using the red hard drive.
A usb disk or a portal disk should work.
As I said, use a individual disk to download will isolate the risk.
Now the problem is on what device should I mount the disk.
There are two solutions for this.
- Mount on the router. I just procured a ASUS router which cost me CNY500. But it seems Xunlei has banned the 3rd party downloader.
- Mount on the Xunlei Downloader. This device is about CNY160. It should provide better performance (some said no) and APP support, but also consume extra electricity.
In conclusion, NAS is too expensive for my need, I will set up a raid1 on my new computer with Baidu yun sync my private data and locally store ‘action movie’.
BTW. There is also a toy called ‘玩客云’ which will release in 13-Sep. It is also a product of Xunlei. I will check it that day.